[texhax] Applicability

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Thu May 3 07:05:05 CEST 2007

On  2 May, 2007, at 22:45, John Stevens wrote:
> I have just installed MacTeX 2007, and inherited the book "A Gentle
> Introduction to TeX" by Michael Doob.  Its very old - from the 1980's
> I'd guess.

1993 in CTAN:

http://ctan.tug.org/tex-archive/info/gentle/

> Is this book still applicable to my installation on a
> Mac?  Your advice would be appreciated - thank you.  John Stevens

Yes, for TeX, I presume. For LaTeX:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/

and, *before* it's published, a long (180 pages long!) sample chapter
of Prof. Grätzer's Math into LaTeX, 4th ed.:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/Math_into_LaTeX-4/

I would advise you to join the TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List:

http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Best,

Axel