[texhax] typesetting, and "subtitle"

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Tue Jun 26 00:56:11 CEST 2007

<bcr2925 at fsu.edu> wrote:

> Hello, smart TeXers.  I have a two part question, one for LaTeX, and another more generally for typsetting.
>
> What's the technical term for the second title -- the bit occupied by
> "or, how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb"?  I thought of
> second title, subtitle, epigram, none of them are quite it.  Other
> example (from the two books closest by me):

"Subtitle" is what you want.

> Second question.  How do I represent that part of the title in LaTeX?
> I tried \subtitle but of course that didn't work.  Should I just
> consider it a part of the title?  like:

The regular LaTeX classes don't have \subtitle, and I don't think memoir
does, either.  I made one by redefining the \title command once, like
this:

 \def\iffull#1{\if#1\relax\else}
 \gdef\@subtitle{}
 \def\subtitle#1{\gdef\@subtitle{#1}}
 \def\title#1{\gdef\@title{\sectfont\bfseries\LARGE#1\iffull\@subtitle\\%
      \mdseries\Large\@subtitle\fi}}

\sectfont would have to be defined to use this verbatim.  But you get
the idea: you have to redefine the construction of your title page
somehow to include the \@subtitle.  In the above, I glommed it into the
\title definition, which wasn't really such a nice way to do it.  Better
would be to redefine \maketitle to do what you want, using \@subtitle.
Look in the class you're using for the definitions of \maketitle, and
you'll see what's going on.  Copy that into your document, or your own
style file, and change it a bit at a time until it looks like what you
want.

 -tom