[texhax] class file vs style file

Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI) rjf2 at CDC.GOV
Wed Jun 20 22:00:20 CEST 2007

From: Brian Papa <bpapa at ametsoc.org>
> In developing a template for a journal article, I'm wondering if there

> is a significant advantage to creating an entirely new class file as
> opposed to using the existing article.cls and then making any
necessary
> modifications though the .sty file? The general consensus seems to be
> create a new class file, but I guess I have not found a good
explanation
> of why this is particularly advantageous.  Perhaps is just easier and
> more efficient to create the new class file? Any information you can
> provide is appreciated.

That really depends on how much time you want to spend
and how much you want to modify.

In my limited experience, I suggest:
style: additions to class
class: modify standards of class

I think the correct computer science word for the issue is: inheritance

Compare the size of various style files with class files.

Ron Fehd  the {SAS} macro maven  CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov