[texhax] Importing hand made drawings

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 11:17:27 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 06:35:55PM +0200, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> After aquiring the drawing with the scanner, as a, say, jpeg image, I have to
> convert it into eps format, right?  How to do so?  With the `jpeg2ps' commmand?

If you prefer WYSIWYG, you can use GIMP

  http://www.gimp.org

For a command line tool, try ImageMagick's convert

  http://www.imagemagick.com

Alternatively, you can use pdftex which can embed JPEGs (among other
formats, but _not_ EPS).  In this case, you can use either pdftex's
primitive \pdfximage directly (see the docs) or some macro package,
for instance graphics.sty (it can be used in plain TeX with the help
of miniltx.tex) or Eplain (http://tug.org/eplain, which builds on
graphics.sty and miniltx.tex and makes them a little easier to use).

Also, especially if your drawings are lineart, you might try potrace

  http://potrace.sourceforge.net

to convert bitmaps to vector EPS/PDF -- you can then scale your
drawings to your heart's content and/or get smaller file sizes.

HTH,
Oleg