[texhax] It's good to exercise

Torsten Wagner torsten.wagner at fh-aachen.de
Wed Jun 13 15:44:37 CEST 2007

Hi James,

interesting question and I guess you will not find a definitive
solution. First of all I believe, that it strongly depends on your
audience.

Personally, I like to have exercises or better an example embedded
within the text. This helps me to directly follow what was written just
a few lines above on a practical example. Others may like to read first
the complete chapter and sit down and try to follow the exercises
afterwards.

I guess it also highly depends on the topic of your book. If the theory
is rather complex I guess I like to get an example within the
description to make the theory clearly understandable for me by
following the inline-exercise. Other may don't like to be disturbed by
exercises since they first like to get an overview before they start to
play around with it.

However, you might combine both methods, just add very short and rather
simple exercises which helps to understand the theory behind it within
the text and add additional exercise at the end of the chapter.

Anyhow, I prefer a clear separation between text and example. Many new
books follow this rule by adding a horizontal line before and after a
exercise, adding a kind of pictogram beside the exercise, or drawing a
box around the exercise. This help readers of both groups to find there
reading style.

There might be different point of views for engineering, programming,
maths, physics etc. topics. I like more the engineering / programming
point-of-view. I really think it hardly depends on the topic and on the
audience.

Just my two cents...

Torsten