[texhax] setting counters to output of a \ref command

David Romano romanod at math.grinnell.edu
Thu Feb 8 17:52:32 CET 2007

Here is the problem I'm trying to solve.  I'd like to have a particular
theorem appear twice in a paper, and I'd like its appearance to be
identical in both, the numbering in particular, without having to set the
section and theorem counters by hand.

Is there a way of getting a hold of the numbers generated by the \ref
command so I can use them to set the relevant counters and duplicate the
appearance of the theorem?  I've tried several sources of LaTeX
documentation and just can't seem to find a way to do this; the only
related piece of information I found was that one can "transport" the
current value of a counter with \value{counter}, but here I'm interested
in transporting a value that is not current.

I'd be very grateful for any help with this problem.

Thank you,
David Romano