[texhax] section heading style conflicts with amsmath package

Brian Papa bpapa at ametsoc.org
Mon Apr 30 22:00:06 CEST 2007

I'm having a problem with the formatting of unnumbered section headings
when I add use of the amsmath package.

When I use the \subsubsection* and \paragraph* commands I would
correctly see the sections headings as:

FIRST UNNUMBERED TERTIARY HEADING

/First unnumbered quaternary heading/

However, when I add \usepackage{amsmath} to the beginning of my .tex
file they are incorrectly formatted as:

3) *
First unnumbered tertiary heading
/(i) */
First unnumbered quaternary heading

I have defined subsubsection and paragraph in my .sty file as follows:

% subsubsection definitions
\renewcommand{\subsubsection}{%
\renewcommand{\@seccntformat}[1]{{\csname the##1\endcsname})~~}%1
\@startsection
{subsubsection}%
{3}  % 3 is the level for subsubsection
{5mm}% Indent subsubsections
{-\baselineskip}% skips 1 baseline after end of previous subsubsection
{0.5\baselineskip}% half baseline and the first paragraph starts
{\normalfont\normalsize\sc}
}
\renewcommand{\thesubsubsection}{\arabic{subsubsection}}

% paragraph (subsubsubsection) definitions
\renewcommand{\paragraph}{%
\renewcommand{\@seccntformat}[1]{({\csname the##1\endcsname})~~}%1
\@startsection
{paragraph}%
{4}  % 4 is the level for subsubsubsection (paragraph)
{5mm}% indent paragraph/subsubsubsections the same as subsubsections
{-\baselineskip}% skips 1 baseline after end of previous subsubsection
{0.5\baselineskip}% half baseline and the first paragraph starts
{\normalfont\normalsize\itshape}
}
\renewcommand{\theparagraph}{\roman{paragraph}}

Anyone have any idea why this is occurring? This does not occur when
using \section* or \subsection*

Thanks,
Brian