[texhax] [NTG-pdftex] Passing Underscore

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Sep 20 14:49:19 CEST 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 2:16 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> It would be a severe bug if the documentation said this would
> work and it did not, but that is not the case. As it stands,
> this is a documented limitation: multiple consecutive spaces
> are always collapsed into one.

FWIW, I find the rules for handling filenames arcane enough that in a
recent project[1], rather than try to sort out all of the special
cases, I transferred all of the filenames into a spreadsheet (they
had to be preserved) then duped them, then massaged the duped column
so as to normalize it to something TeX could easily handle, used a
utility (File Wrangler) to do the same to a duplicate set of the
files, then wrapped everything up in a TeX macro which typeset the
unmodified filename in a verbatim environment and used the modified
filename to pull in the graphic and print it on the same page as the
typeset filename at 90% of its original size.

William

[1] reprinting a ~7,000 pg. government handbook where all the pages
were provided as single page .pdf files.

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.