[texhax] environment with smaller typeface and narrower margins

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Sep 4 17:58:48 CEST 2006

On Monday 04 September 2006 09:25, Jonathan Myles wrote:
> Is there a way of defining an environment, {query} say,
> so that I can write
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%
> Bloggs et al explain that.....
>
> \begin{query}
>  is my understanding of this correct? Can we improve it by....
> \end{query}
>

> They then go on ....
>
> %%%%%%%%%
>
> and my query will come out in a different typeface with narrower margins?
>
> thanks
>
> Jonathan
The plain TeX macro \narrower could be adapted for your purposes.

A simple definition for your application would be:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\def\narrower{\advance \leftskip 2 em \small
\advance \rightskip 2 em}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
in use it would be

{\narrower
 is my understanding of this correct? Can we improve it by....
}

The curly brackets are critical.

Since all the commands used are either TeX primitives or LaTeX
commands there should be no problems.

Adaptation to LaTeX environment format should not be difficult.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting