[texhax] include graphicx

Yuri Robbers yuri.robbers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 01:24:56 CEST 2006

Hello George,

I see two problems, of which I think I know the solution to the second one.

On 10/17/06, George Georgalis <george at galis.org> wrote:

> This is my first attempt to include graphics.
>
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \includegraphics{network-plan.png}
>
> what results is a blank space of the
> expected size of the graphic,

This is the bit I can't explain yet.

I've tried
> using "img2eps network-plan.png" and
> \includegraphics{network-plan.eps}
>
> resulting in
>
> ! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .eps.
>
> which I find odd given what I've read about
> graphicx.  When I use /usepackage[draft]{graphicx}
> with the png file, I get a rectangle with the file
> name in it, as expected.

This, combined with the bit above gives me the impression you're using
pdflatex. Regular LaTeX doesn't understand  .png (but you didn't get such an
unknown graphics extension, so I don't think you used regular LaTeX there).

Pdflatex, on the other hand, does not understand .eps files, so that would
explain your error message.

What is the next step to resolve including png
> graphics and/or the unknown eps issue?

various options

1) Check teh log file for more specific error messages

2) use the .eps with regular LaTeX instead of pdflatex

3) find out what's wrong with the .png

4) convert the .png (or .eps) to .pdf or .jpg and see if that works.

Good luck,
Yuri.