[texhax] differences between Textures and MacTeX (was Re: (no subject))

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon May 22 13:21:34 CEST 2006

On May 19, 2006, at 1:03 PM, <b.moses at rcn.com> <b.moses at rcn.com> wrote:

> Do the downloads available from TUG satisfy the
> Tiger  system for Latex 2e as a complete subtitute for the bluesky
> latex?

Karl answered the general aspects of your query, so I'll make a
couple of comments on specifics. Differences w/ Textures and Unix-
based TeXs include:

  - Textures in PostScript mode can handle a .eps file w/ a graphic
preview --- not a big problem though since most people switch to
using pdftex and compile all such files to .pdf files to place them.
Even when using Post(Ghost)Script mode though the file will be
distilled to a .pdf for on-screen display, so you'll get the full-
resolution graphic, not the low-resolution bitmap preview like
Textures provided.

  - Textures has its own specialized font setups --- if you've taken
advantage of them you'll either need to re-install your fonts using
conventional techniques (for LaTeX, see the Lehman's _Type 1 Font
Installation Guide_) or make use of XeTeX (http://scripts.sil.org/
xetex) which uses native fonts

  - similary, if you're using Mac OS LWFN outline / screen font pairs
for say MathTime Professional you'll need to get these converted to
PC/Unix-style fonts or up-grade and then set them up in your font
setup for LaTeX.

  - TeXshop (and AFAIK other Mac OS X front-ends) lacks the graphical
interface for choosing specific engines which Textures had --- not so
much of an issue w/ todays faster machines, but possibly a slight
inefficiency.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.