[texhax] problems with placing references

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Sat May 6 21:05:00 CEST 2006

Geert Scholma :

> hi tug,
>
> I use Texshop 2 (2.04) with bibdesk 1.2.6 (v302). I have only 1 bib
> file, which is iesthesis.bib and it is in the same folder as the tex
> file itself. When I try to put three references in my document, only
> the middle one (which I inserted some time ago), works.
>
> \cite{TRS}\\
> \cite{NGP}\\
> \cite{DMS}\\
>
> \bibliographystyle{plain}
> \bibliography{iesthesis.bib}
>
> These are the warnings:
> LaTeX Warning: Citation `TRS' on page 3 undefined on input line 30.
> LaTeX Warning: Citation `DMS' on page 3 undefined on input line 32.
>
> I triple checked the names of the citations, and I cannot think of
> anything more that I do wrong. Do I have to update the library, or do
> something else? Could you please help me through this difficult
> first-time-user experience?

have you remembered to rerun bibtex?

Whenever you cite something that has not been cited before you have to do

latex, bibtex, latex, latex

for the references tobecome fully updated.

/daleif

``You cannot help men permanently by doing for them
what they could and should do for themselves. ''
  -- Abraham Lincoln