[texhax] ligatures

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Wed Mar 15 19:03:21 CET 2006

William Adams <will.adams at frycomm.com> wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2006, at 11:26 AM, tom sgouros wrote:
>
> > Now I have a slightly different problem.  The /printer option claims
> > it will embed those, too, but the newly generated file doesn't seem
> > different enough in size to contain an entire embedded font, and I
> > don't know how to check this short of sending the file back to the
> > not-terribly-cooperative person who complained about it in the first
> > place.  Can anyone help me avoid here?  Is there another way to tell
> > if fonts are embedded in a PDF?
>
> Open it up in Adobe Reader and check there --- there's an option for
> it in that.

Thanks.  Using that, I see now that embedding the Times font in a PDF is
not a trivial task.  By default it doesn't get embedded by ps2pdf (nor
Helvetica, Courier, Symbols or Zapf Dingbats) and the ps2pdf options are
pretty cryptic about how to do it.  The obvious options aren't parsed
properly by the ps2pdf script.  Via google, I found some hints, but they
don't seem to work, though I'm still fidgeting.

This explains an earlier problem I'd had with some symbols disappearing
between my computer and someone else's printer.  Any advice on how to
embed these fonts in a PDF is welcome.  For this particular project, it
seems like perhaps the easiest solution is just to switch everything to
Palatino and tell people I did it because I like its old-world charm.

Thanks again,

 -tom