[texhax] tex source code

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Jun 30 00:29:36 CEST 2006

            % ctangle tex.web

ctangle is for processing a literate program in C.  tex.web is written
in the original literate Pascal.  Hence the errors you saw ...

    I then tried running tangle, which was fine, but as I don't have
    Pascal it was a bit academic.

Converting the Pascal output from "tangle tex.web tex.ch" into C is the
basic job of the Web2C program, but this is not a standalone operation.
There are lots and lots of issues around making the code coming from
tex.web circa 1982 into something that works here in 2006, and that's
what Web2C (used for teTeX, TeX Live, etc.) is all about.

If you want to explore, the current TL source code for this can be
browsed at http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Build/source/texk/web2c.
There hasn't been a standalone release of Web2C in some time,
unfortunately.

Best,
karl