[texhax] float running away to a page of floats

Rodrigo Ventura yoda at isr.ist.utl.pt
Mon Jun 26 14:15:02 CEST 2006

Hi. I'm using LaTeX and I'm having trouble forcing a figure not to go to a
page of floats. I've tryed hacks such as

 \renewcommand{\topfraction}{.85}
 \renewcommand{\bottomfraction}{.7}
 \renewcommand{\textfraction}{.15}
 \renewcommand{\floatpagefraction}{.66}
 \renewcommand{\dbltopfraction}{.66}
 \renewcommand{\dblfloatpagefraction}{.66}
 \setcounter{topnumber}{9}
 \setcounter{bottomnumber}{9}
 \setcounter{totalnumber}{20}
 \setcounter{dbltopnumber}{9}

with no success. I *really* have to force the figure to fit on the page,
because the document must fit on a certain number of pages (a 6 page research
paper).

Suggestions?

Cheers,

Rodrigo