[texhax] running metafont for the first time

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jul 25 20:21:13 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 13:06, Randy Schilling wrote:
> Dear Sir  -
>

> I sent an email last Friday 7/21 describing a problem I'm having
>
> running metafont for the first time.  Not having gotten a response,
>
> I wonder if my request has been lost.  Please contact me.
>

> Sincerely - Randy

Having just joined the list I missed your inquiry. If you restate
it, and also the platform you are running on that would be helpful.

As you may know Metapost, a brilliant early effort at a font
creation language, produces bitmapped characters, and has been
largely superseded even in the TeX world by Type 1, Truetype and
now Opentype fonts. Probably for this reason no one stepped
forward to answer your question. Not many are still working with
Metafont. Its descendants Metapost and Metafun are still alive
and well as more generalized drawing programs for plain TeX,
Context etc.

A more current font creation package is fontforge. You might want
to look into it.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting