[texhax] Multiple footnotes in table environment ?

Torsten Wagner torsten.wagner at fh-aachen.de
Thu Jul 20 12:39:17 CEST 2006

Hi,

just a quick question to a little problem I try to solve just in the moment.

I have a table environment. unfortunately the table is somewhat large. I
like to make it shorter to make it more clear. For that i like to use
the common abbreviations inside the table multiple footnotes under the
table explain this abbreviations.

I think thats a common method to avoid large amount of text in tables.

e.g.
a single table line looks like this now

horse radish peroxidase (HRP), chinese hamster ovary (CHO) &
immuno-enzymatic assays & \cite{myref} \\

since the words HRP and CHO are frequently used I like to write

HRP^1, CHO^2 & immuno-enzymatic assays & \cite{myref} \\

and at the end of the table in form of a footnote

^1 horse radish peroxidase
^2 chinese hamster ovary

The normal footnote command does not work in a table environment. I
found a solution for a single footnote in a table. But nothing for
multiple footnotes. I can solve this by manipulating the
footnote-counter by myself but I guess this is only a dirty method.

Furthermore, I like to  get the footnotes at the end of the table (as I
saw in many books already) and not at the bottom of the page.

I'm sure someone created a package for this already ;)

Hope you help me to find it

Best regards

Torsten