[texhax] Lowered \hat accent

Joel Salomon joelcsalomon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 07:15:02 CET 2006

(Taking this back to the list)

On 1/18/06, Uwe Lück <uwe.lueck at web.de> wrote:
> Sorry, forget about exaccent; I hadn't known how powerful TeX's
> primitive \mathaccent is. exaccent is only needed for text mode.
> Now I suggest:
>
>      \newcommand{\khat}{{\rlap{$\mkern7mu\hat{\vphantom{x}}$}k}}
>
>      $\khat$
>
> You can slightly vary the '7' for the horizontal position of the hat.
> Rule 12 on p. 443 of the TeXbook may lead to a 100% clean alternative
> to the present trial and error thing, but the ascender of the 'k'
> forces breaking rules anyway (know what I mean?).
>
> You also can replace '\mkern7mu' by something like '\skew{14}'.
>
> Lucky typesetting
> -- Uwe.

I'm now using
    \newcommand{\khat}{{\rlap{$\mkern7.5mu\hat{\vphantom{x}}$}k}}
and
    $\khat$
and things look about right.

No doubt I should play with \mathchoice and make it look "really"
good.  But then I'll buy the Lucida fonts and have to do it over....
I'll wait until my next paper is due.  ;)

Thanks for all the help!

--Joel