[texhax] Footnotes: Numbering

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Thu Dec 21 18:50:48 CET 2006

At 17:38 21.12.06, Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
>E. Krishnan wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
> >
> >> What I do not like is that the number is very close to the text of the
> >> footnote.  It it possible to increase this distance in some way?
> >
> > Please try \footnote{\hspace{2pt}footnote text}. Instead of "2pt" you try
> > other values.
>
>Thank you. But the drawback with that one is that you have to make the
>change for all the footnotes.  If possible, I would prefer one command
>to change all footnotes in the same way.

\newcommand{\FN}{1]{\unskip\footnote{\hspace{2pt}#1}}

in the document preamble, then use \FN in place of \footnote.
The \unskip can be omitted, it is something I like to use
so I can indent \FN and its argument in the code, so
it is easy to see what is main text and what is footnote text.

footmisc offers a layout command, but why load a package
when a single \newcommand line suffices?

HTH -- Uwe.