[texhax] macro help

Tom Sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Wed Aug 9 16:35:59 CEST 2006

Hello all:

I have two questions.  One is that I have an include file that works
with \input and not with \include.  \input gives no error, but \include
gives an error that I can't use \relax after \the.  I already knew that,
but I can't find anything like that in the file, which is just a pile of
\newcommands with simple text definitions-- convenience definitions for
a document I'm writing with nothing tricky in any of them that I can
see.  Can anyone suggest what this error is telling me?

Second, I have a list of XML tags that I'm documenting and I want to
define a list of macros for each entry on the list, so that I can do
something like this:

  \newcommand{\tagentry}[1]{#1 & \csname #1\endcsname}

So this is an entry in a big table of XML tag definitions if the macro
\TAG contains the definition of TAG.

The problem I have is that in a huge list of XML tags, there are a
few whose names have digits: STREET1 and STREET2, for example.  The
only digits in use are 1 and 2, and they only occur at the end of the
tags.  I haven't quite been able to come up with a macro definition that
could translate STREET1 into \STREETONE or \STREETA, and I wonder if
anyone here could lend a hand, or tell me definitely that I'm wasting
time.

Many thanks all,

 -tom