[texhax] problem with array package

Tom Sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Wed Apr 26 01:47:40 CEST 2006

Dear all:

I am no doubt being quite dense, but I cannot see what is the matter
with the following snippet.  I tried to use array.sty to define a couple
of new column types.  I can use one of them, with an 'l' or a 'c' in the
other column, but not both of them.  Is there some hidden restriction to
array.sty that prohibits this?

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{array}

\begin{document}

\newcolumntype{X}{>{\raggedright}p{1.2in}}
\newcolumntype{P}{>{\raggedright}p{3in}}

\begin{tabular}[t]{|XP|} \hline
Name & Description \\
Start sentinel & 1 byte (the character).  This should not be
provided to the center. \\
Format code & 1 byte alphabetic.  The standard for financial
institutions specifies the format code is ``B''. \\
\end{tabular}

\end{document}

I get this error:

>  ! Extra alignment tab has been changed to \cr.
> <recently read> \endtemplate
>
> l.27 Start sentinel &
>                       1 byte (the character).  This should not be

Many thanks,

 -tom