[texhax] \listoffigures, order of reference numbers

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Apr 21 12:53:38 CEST 2006

If I've understood it, your problem is related to latex numbering
citations in the order in which they appear in the document and hence,
if a \cite is in the listoffigures, that will get numbered as 1.

A simple way 'round this, if the publisher or you approve, is not to
number references, but to use author-year citations, i.e., "Other work
in this subject [Jones et al., 1993]..." instead of "Other work in this
subject [1]..."  This is easy to do with the natbib package and its
associated bibliography styles.

\usepackage{natbib}

\bibliographystyle{plainnat}

should generate a alphabatised reference list (in alphabetical order)
and author-year citations. natbib will also number references. See the
documentation (or read the extensive comments at the beginning of
natbib.sty).

Actually, any bibliography style that sorted the references by other
than order of appearance would work I think, including plain old
"plain", but I haven't tried it.

HTH
Steve

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 11:04 +0200, Torsten Wagner wrote:
> Dear Philip, dear William,
>
> thanks much for your help. I was aware of the special "figure-list
> caption" which you can include in square brackets before the figure
> caption.
> However, I just wonder that LaTeX does not take care of this effect.
> There are four reasons why I like to solve this problem.
>
> 1. I do not know, but maybe my colleague get forced (some publishers
> still believe MS-Word invented the design-rules for a good layout ;) )
> to write in the "list-of-figures" exactly the same text as in the real
> figure captions. If so, we have to find a solution.
>
> 2. My colleague is relatively new to LaTeX. I convinced him with the
> argument that he has not to take care of any reference-, caption-,
> section-, page- or any other number since LaTeX will do that boring
> job for him. If he get faced now with such a problem, he will call me
> a cheater. ;)
>
> 3. The supervisor is hmmm... from the other side of the LaTeX vs.
> MS-Word war :D. If he find such a mistake, it will take months until
> he stop to backbite on LaTeX.
>
> 4. ... the best reason at the end. As usual I like to learn and I like
> to understand. Therefore, it is a pleasure to me to solve this
> problem ;)
>
> Bye
> Torsten

Professor Steven J Schwartz      Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Space and Atmospheric Physics    Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory          E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London          Office: Huxley 6M70
London SW7 2BW, U.K.             Web: http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs