[texhax] Re: mktexpk fights ... \small

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Tue Sep 27 21:04:18 CEST 2005

To corroborate and underline this:

 >>> [U.L.:]
What is typical and strange concerning the problem with MiKTeX
is that the latter may accept one size of a shape but not a second
one. E.g., the standard cmcsc10.pk is generated for a very large
scaling without problems, but MakePK breaks with a smaller
scaling of cmcsc10 afterwards. (Sorry, contrarily to my
Wujastyk has reported this phenomenon to the MiKTeX project
5 years ago.
<<<

... moreover, `\normalfont \itshape \small' didn't work,
only `\normalfont \itshape \footnotesize'.  ... Well, anyway
my intuitive impression is that \small never looks good
and that in switching to a lower size one should always
use \footnotesize immediately. (One exception: I wrote
an article where the details of minor importance were
\small; I found this appropriate.)

Best,
Uwe.