[texhax] Bilbliography problem

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Wed Nov 9 13:23:43 CET 2005

Irrespectively of policy, I have to add something contentual:

>Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 03:42:15 +0100
>To: Morten Høgholm <morten.hoegholm at gmail.com>,
>    texhax at tug.org, Zak <b.zarychta at phys.keele.ac.uk>
>From: Uwe Lück <uwe.lueck at web.de>
>Subject: Re: [texhax] Bilbliography problem
>
>Filst black to the olilginal blilbioglalphy plolblem:
>
>At 17:07 04.11.05, Morten Høgholm wrote:
>
>>In this case \@listctr is undefined. The most likely thing to cause this
>>problem is that the document class or a package used defines the
>>"thebibliography" environment but does not issue \usecounter internally.
>>This would indeed lead to the error message that \@listctr is undefined.
[snip]
>My favourite diagnosis is the following story:
>At his first try, Zak started his bibliography roughly as follows:
>
>   \section*{Bibliography}
>   \bibitem{str98}
>
>thus, no \begin{thebibliography} at all.
>For plausibility, remember an earlier posting here
>wondering about
>
>   \begin{enumerate}
>     \include...
>     \include...
>
>-- no \item. -- However, instead of what Zak reports,
>the first error message from a \bibitem outside a
>{bibliography} environment suggests a `missing list
>environment'. Now, this may be understood as:
>\begin{list} is missing. So add it; e.g.:
>
>   \section*{Bibliography}
>   \begin{list}{}{}
>     \bibitem{str98}
>
>Now you get exactly the error messages that Zak reports.
>So no extra mysterious package would be involved.

Zak's error report was full of treasures to be digged out:

At 11:56 01.11.05, Zak wrote:
>I'm writing up my work, or rather not at the moment. The problem comes
>with trying to reference using bibtex. I can latex the document fine (only
>with a warning that i'm using an out of date style format), i Then bibtex
>it again with no problems. now when i latex the document i get the
>following error.

So he used \bibliographystyle and \bibliography,
and my former diagnosis must be changed into the
suspicion that Zak edited his .bbl, replacing {thebibliography}
by some {list} without \usecounter. He may have seen
no other way to replace `References' by `Bibliography'.
This might make clear of what Zak has to change
in order to get an error-free bibliography.

Admittedly, some of the gratefulness that Zak
announced is missing.

So much for diagnosing and resolving --

Lucky typesetting,
   Uwe Lueck.