[texhax] BibTeX operation

Chris Bourke cbourke at cse.unl.edu
Fri May 27 20:49:43 CEST 2005

Often times I have a need to abbreviate bibtex entries to save space.  For
instance, citing a paper from the proceedings of a conference,
Computational Complexity Conference 2005 could be abbreviated CCC05 or
CCC'05.  I also abbreviate journal names and only give the first initial
of author's first names.

Is there a way to maintain the FULL entries in bibtex format and have
bibtex generated *shortened* versions of the citations?  THat is, in my
bib file, have author = "John H. Doe" but in the bibitem produced by
bibtex have it be author = "J. H. Doe"?

Chris Bourke
cbourke at cse.unl.edu
http://www.cse.unl.edu/~cbourke