[texhax] author-date biblio style

Philip G. Ratcliffe philipratcliffe at tiscali.it
Wed Mar 9 21:05:32 CET 2005

> I've tried natbib and apalike, and I get an odd sort of problem (in all
> these styles) in the reference list at the end, where the label of the
> entry is superimposed on the name of  the author. I've attached a page
> from the refs as a postscript, so you can see what I mean. It's very
> strange-looking, and I have no idea why it happens.

The \begin{thebibliography}{<longest label>} command has an argument
indicated here as <longest label> and it should be just that.  The
bibliography style file (.bst) should put it in automatically.  If it
doesn't, either find one that does or put in something by hand: just a
string of the right length (as printed that is).

Cordialmente,  Philip G. Ratcliffe

Professor of Nuclear & Subnuclear Physics
Dipartimento di Fisica e Matematica
Università degli Studi dell'Insubria
via Valleggio 11
22100 Como (CO)