[texhax] Boxes and indents

Stefan Björk stefan at raggmunk.nu
Fri Jan 28 10:10:20 CET 2005

> The problem is that \vbox has width \textwidth and then the space and rule
> thickness of \fbox havw no space left to live in.  The following is now also
> a little more kosher than before.

Thanks again. I found a solution similar to your on my own (sometimes
you should just think a little on your own before posting to the list; I
was too quick yesterday), but your proposal is - of course - much more
elegant in many ways.

However, I finally came up with the following solution that seem to work
well. The variant, \textbox*, does not add any space before the box,
which is useful just after a heading (I guess there could be a way to
automatically detect this).

\newcommand{\@textbox}[2]{%
   \addvspace{#1\baselineskip}
   \noindent
   \fbox{%
     \addtolength{\columnwidth}{-2\fboxsep}%
     \addtolength{\columnwidth}{-2\fboxrule}%
     \begin{minipage}{\columnwidth}%
       \setlength{\parindent}{1em}%
       \small\noindent\strut%
     \end{minipage}%