[texhax] marginal notes with leaders

Stuart Jansen sjansen at gurulabs.com
Mon Feb 28 18:59:49 CET 2005

I'm trying to figure out how to create aligned marginal notes connected
by a leader to the first line of the paragraph to which they refer. In
some cases, the marginal note will be taller than the paragraph it
references, but when they aren't, I'd like to stack tightly to avoid
excessive whitespace. Something like this:

paragraph one with some text -------------- a marginal
                                            note over
paragraph two with only one line of text    three lines

paragraph three with some text that wraps - another note
onto a second line                          that takes
                                            three lines

paragraph four that shifts down because --- a note
it also has a marginal note

Are there any packages that already support this? Preferably in plain
TeX. If not, can anyone outlibe what I will need to grok to create it
myself?

--
Stuart Jansen <sjansen at gurulabs.com>
Guru Labs, L.C.