[texhax] \thanks problem

Konstantin Karapetyan texnic at photonica.ru
Thu Feb 17 07:46:20 CET 2005

Hello!

I've noticed a strange (to me) behaviour of the \thanks command and
wonder if it is intended.

Here's a short document (dvi attached):

    \documentclass{article}
    \title{Title1\thanks{Footnote} title2}
    \author{}
    \begin{document}
    \maketitle
    Text begins\dots
    \end{document}

LaTeX puts the * just after title1 (what is expected) but then title2
follows without any space. I tried adding backslash like

    \title{Title1\thanks{Footnote}\ title2}

but without any result. The only workaround I've found is

    \title{Title1\thanks{Footnote}\ \ title2}

which doesn't look very nice of course.

I have found out that in fact \thanks adds negative space after
itself. See file latex2.dvi which was compiled with

    \title{\thanks{Footnote}Title1 title2}

But why does it do this?

Regards,
Konstantin.