[texhax] Re: [pdftex] Re: [pstricks] Choosing between graphic include files

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Thu Dec 22 20:37:09 CET 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Herbert Voss wrote:

> Joel Salomon wrote:
>
> > I've been using a script to generate both eps and pdf versions of a
> > PSTricks graphic.  Does a macro exist to include one or the other,
> > depending on whether I'm using LaTeX or pdfLaTeX?
>
> \includegraphics{file name} _without_ an extension will always choose
> the right one.

that's interesting. I know that it's deemed good LaTeX practice to leave
out the extensions and yet i almost always use them. Reason is that i
want to have full control over what pdflatex chooses. I prepare graphics
in some subdirectory, using various mogrifications by netpbm and
convert, Makefile driven, and there is often the case that e. g. a .png
is coexisting with a .jpg. And as i have abandoned the .eps/.dvi line, i
feel safe with this way.

Regards, Hartmut