[texhax] Referencing a section title

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 10 09:57:29 CEST 2004

> I need to make a reference to the title of a section (not just its number). If I
> have
>   \section{NiceTitle} \label{sec:mysection}
> it is clear that \ref{sec:mysection} produces the number of the section. But
> what if I want to get the title itself? I want of course to avoid doing it
> manually (retyping 'NiceTitle' in the part of the text I need it).

what you should do depends on what you're already doing.

take a look at

  http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=nameref

i'ld chastise you for not looking there in the first place, only the
search that found it for me depended on me knowing the answer in the
first place.

(what's more, i've spotted editorial amendments that would make the
answer easier to read. :-( )

<hint type='heavy'>
  offers of help with the development of the faq's internal search
  engine would be gratefully received.
</hint>