[texhax] More problems with pdflatex

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Sun Jan 18 00:18:08 CET 2004

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Michael Barr wrote:

> Ok, here is the line from the map file:
> aicmsl10 CMSL10 " AITeXTextEncoding ReEncodeFont " <aicmtext.enc
> <cmsl10.pfb

so to the font aicmsl10 (pdftex uses aicmsl10.tfm/.vf) belongs the
encoding file aicmtext.enc (mapping of TeX letters to Type1 font
characters) and the cmsl10.pfb will be loaded. The things in quotes are
ignored by pdftex, only important for dvips.

> Second, by "second field" I assume you mean the CMSL10.

Yes.

> I didn't know I even used that font, but at the bottom of the log
> file, I found the line
> <c:/TeXLive8/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmsl10.pfb>
> so it seems I did.
> But when I ran it in scroll mode, there were lots of messages like
> that.  The whole thing seems badly broken to me.  Yes, I can take them
> all out by hand, but it will be a nuisance.

Somehow you have registered a bunch of fonts, e. g. by updmap --enable
Map ai.map, which divert your fonts of embedded files. Find this ai.map
or whatever the mapfile name is, which contains these silly entries, and
disable all these map entries together by updmap --disable ai.map, or
whatever name.

> But how is all this intended to be used?  What would happen if I took
> out all the lines that began with ai?  In fact, maybe I should comment
> them out and see.

Ok, it just means, you made your original with cmsl10/CMSL10, using the
mapfile line starting with cmsl10, which is a standard entry. The font
cmsl10.pfb (BaseName CMSL10) is used in the original. During embedding,
the CMSL10 line matches the exotic font line aicmsl10/CMSL10. Bang.

Greetings, Hartmut