[texhax] A PSTricks question

Benjamin Deutsch Benjamin.Deutsch at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Sep 8 11:10:21 CEST 2003

Hello,

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Prof. Sudhir R. Ghorpade wrote:
> While we are at it, what, according to the pros is the best tool to
> draw mathematical graphs and insert them in a LaTeX file? To me,
> PSTricks seems pretty good and better than Mathematica or Xfig.
> But it may have limitations. I am not familiar with Metapost and such.

I'm surprised that noone has mentioned the program "gnuplot" yet. Since
you list Mathematica and Xfig, I assume external programs are ok for your
purposes. Gnuplot is a highly versatile command-line tool with the sole
purpose of plotting mathematical data. It has a postscript output which is
ideal for embedding in TeX and LaTeX documents.

Gnuplot is currently available at http://www.gnuplot.info or
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot , also and comes bundled with
many Linux distributions. I have not worked with any MS Windows versions,
though they do seem to be available.

Hope this helps,

  Benjamin Deutsch

--
Dipl.-Inf. Benjamin Deutsch            Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg
Lehrstuhl fuer Mustererkennung (Inf. 5)        Tel.: +49 9131 85-27874
91058 Erlangen      email: Benjamin.Deutsch at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Germany             www  :      http://www5.informatik.uni-erlangen.de