[texhax] latex logo in avant garde?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 19 16:59:35 CEST 2003

> Has anyone defined macros to get the LaTeX (in particular) logo to come
> out decently in standard PostScript or other non-CM fonts?  It looks
> particularly bad in Avant Garde.  I haven't made a study of every logo
> in every font, but I'm sure there are other bad combinations.
>
> I searched the faq, catalogue, and google to no avail.

i did an article about the stupidity of these logos (the latex logo is
worse than most), citing as evidence the way new macros are needed for
acceptable appearance, for almost any font other than cmr.

somewhere or other i have a package that will take font-specific
parameters and vary the way the la part of latex is done.  for the
fonts i was using (i tried it with baskerville and cmbx, iirc) the tex
part was acceptable ... but this isn't a general fact -- somewhere in
the latex documentation directory, there's a variant \tex macro
(though i can't find it just now).

i think, really, that the logos should be printed in the font they
were designed for.  or, preferably, not at all.