[texhax] latex vs. pdflatex

Brett W. McCoy bmccoy at chapelperilous.net
Wed Oct 15 17:52:00 CEST 2003

Erik T. Ray wrote:

> As a sys admin I have to maintain a latex environment for researchers.
> The problem is, my users are using both latex and pdflatex, and I want
> to standardize on just one. In my experience, there are subtle
> differences and it is difficult to use the same .sty files for both
> environments. Does anybody have advice on which one I should pick, or if
> there is a good reason to provide both? If the world is moving toward
> one of them, I would like to be in the majority.

If I had to choose just one, I'd go with plain old latex... if users
want to generate PDF files they can always use the dvi or ps convertors
that can create pdf files.

What distribution of TeX are you using?  Some provide both latex and
pdflatex as part of their package.

-- Brett
                                           http://www.chapelperilous.net/