[texhax] How does one read *.tex documents?

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Wed May 14 09:11:33 CEST 2003

Robert E. Harvey <rharvey at cox-internet.com> asks on Wed, 14 May 2003
06:16:49 -0500:

>> How do I translate [*.tex] files into something readable for my monitor
>> and printable for my Postscript printer?  I'm running Red Hat Linux 9 ...

If the documents begin with \documentclass or \documentstyle, they are
LaTeX documents:

	latex foo.tex

Otherwise, they are probably plain TeX documents:

	tex foo.tex

This produces a device-independent file, foo.dvi, that you can view on
the screen with

	xdvi foo.dvi

and convert to PostScript with

	dvips foo.dvi

to get foo.ps.

See

	http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/texbook3.html

for an extensive list of books about TeX and LaTeX, and on your Unix
system, see these manual pages:

	man tex
	man latex
	man dvips
	man xdvi

- Center for Scientific Computing       FAX: +1 801 581 4148                  -
- University of Utah                    Internet e-mail: beebe at math.utah.edu  -
- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB        beebe at acm.org  beebe at computer.org -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe at ieee.org                    -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe  -