[texhax] Accents

Michael Doob mdoob at cmstex2.maths.umanitoba.ca
Thu May 8 10:30:26 CEST 2003

An existential question worthy of Sartre! If no ink (toner?) hits
the page, have you printed nothing? I would think that it is not
true that \strut does not print nothing.

On the other hand, inserting a null hbox prints nothing on the page
but does break the ligature. So has the \null or {} printed nothing
or not?.I'm still on my first cup of coffee here in Canada, so this
is too hard for my poor brain at this time :-).

Cheers,
Michael

> > As Hartmut suggested, anything like {} or \null or \strut (all print
> > nothing, but do get processed) between ? and ` will solve your problem.
>
> \strut does not print nothing, as one can clearly see in the difference
> between \framebox{a\strut} and \framebox{a}: It reserves the vertical
> space for uppercase letters and underlengths.
>
> Karsten
> --
> Karsten Tinnefeld                                   tinnefeld at adesso.de
> Software Engineer, adesso AG
> Stockholmer Allee 24                                  T +49 231 9309211
> 44269 Dortmund, Deutschland      M +49 178 2808107    F +49 231 9309331

Michael Doob                    Telephone: (204) 474-9796
Department of Mathematics       Fax: (204) 474-7606
University of Manitoba          email: Michael_Doob at umanitoba.ca
Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2N2