[texhax] do British LaTeX macros exist?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jun 14 18:56:28 CEST 2003

> i would like to be able to use British-spelt LaTeX macros instead of the
> American english ones, e.g.
>
>  \begin{itemise} -> \begin{itemize}
>  \begin{centre}  -> \begin{center}
>
> and many more i can't even think of. has anyone written such a set of
> macros, or must i define them myself?

there are none that i can think of; and i can't bring myself to
believe that this is important (even though the control of latex is
entirely european nowadays).  i understand that context has control
even of the names of primitives according to which language you're
using, but (little dutch though i know) i don't believe i would have
worried if context was exclusively in its author's native language.
(it's like songs: you learn other people's languages by singing their
songs, so i'm ever so good at declaring undying love, or black
despair, in german.)

when i write articles for the uk faq, though, i definitely stick to
english for the words, and use the american names of things in latex.
so i might write: "to change the colour of text, you need the <color>
package..." -- which gives me a sort of perverse pleasure.

of course, this color.sty was written by an englishman.  i dunno, i
really don't.