[texhax] TeX -> PostScript, but in a resolution-independent manner

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 5 01:23:15 CEST 2003

> 	I opine that the proper statement is that scalable or outline
> 	fonts, when actually displayed or printered become bitmap fonts.

in context (discussing what you send to the printer or display driver)
this is a pointless remark.  the output that is produced is indeed a
bitmap, but the font attributes are something else entirely.  (you
typically can't retrieve the rasterised bits destined for the output
medium for re-use -- and re-use is what fonts are about.)

> 	One of the parameters that can be given to dvips is the
> 	resolution of printer or display device so that dvips can
> 	use the correct font set or trigger the proper font
> 	generation.  As most printers work at 300 dpi, 600 dpi,
> 	1200 dpi, 1270 dpi (50dpmm), 1440 dpi or 2540 dpi (100
> 	dpmm), it is common to find pre-generated font sets at
> 	those resolutions.  [rest omitted]

_really_?  i've never seen a pk font set at anything higher than
600dpi, and i wouldn't want to.  i typically print to a 1200dpi
printer, and *never* use bitmaps on it.  i know there are fonts
available only in metafont form, but i'm fortunate in not needing
them.

bitmap fonts were ok for the footling resolutions that knuth was
dealing with in the 1970s, but we're miles away from that world, now:
and who cares? -- xdvi rasterising type 1 fonts is adequately fast,
even for my impatient eyes, and the rasterisers in printers are
written by people whose only speciality it is.