[texhax] marginpar in maths environment

Harish S. Bhanderi hsb21 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 16 13:35:38 CEST 2003

Hi

I have a question about margin notes, namely the command \marginpar. I
can't use it within a maths environment. So if I have:

\marginpar{The first eq. comes from (1.64), the second comes from ...}
\begin{eqnarray}
A = B \\
B = C \\
C = D
\end{eqnarray}

This works but the comment in the margin appears on the line above the
equation rather than on the same line. So when I try:

\begin{eqnarray}
\marginpar{This eq. comes from (1.64)}
A = B \\
\marginpar{This eq. comes from (1.83)}
B = C \\
\marginpar{This eq. comes from (1.93)}
C = D
\end{eqnarray}

Everything goes wrong! I get the following errors:

|-->  l.48 \marginpar
|-->                 {This eq. comes from (1.64)}
|-->  ! Undefined control sequence.
|-->      <argument> \@marbox
|-->
|-->  l.48 \marginpar{This eq. comes from (1.64)}
|-->
|-->  ! Missing number, treated as zero.
|-->  <to be read again>
|-->                     \vbox
|-->  l.48 \marginpar{This eq. comes from (1.64)}

Please advise.

Many thanks in advance.

Harish