[texhax] Problems running Metafont

Rodolfo Medina romeomedina at libero.it
Sun Aug 24 16:42:57 CEST 2003

Hi, everybody.

I'm trying to follow the steps described in the Chapter 5 of the
Metafontbook,
and I'm having problems in getting a .ps file. Is there please someone who
can help me?
On my PC I have Linux Mandrake 9.0, with xdvi 22.40k and dvips 5.90a.
First I create a file called io.mf
containig the first 16 lines of the 23 lines showed on page 32 of the
Metafontbook.
Then, from the linux konsole I write
`mf',
then
`\mode=localfont; input io',
and then
`end'.
This generates the files io.log, io.600gf and io.tfm. Then I say
`gftodvi io.600gf',
which generates the file io.dvi. Then I say
`xdvi io.dvi'
and the io.dvi file appears with a big letter `O'.
I can also get the file io.ps, typing the command
`dvips io.dvi -o',
and everything goes fine.
At this point I create a file called try.tex, in wich I type:

	\font\try=io
	\centerline{\try O}
	\vfill
	\eject

I process this file with TeX, thus generating the file try.dvi,
and then I write the command
`xdvi try.dvi',
and try.dvi is open.
Up to here, no problems. Now they come: when I type the command
`dvips try.dvi -o',
in order to get the file try.ps, it says:
`dvips: Font io not found, using cmr10 instead.'

What do I miss? What can I do?
					Rodolfo
---