[texhax] \textwidth and \linewidth

Ian Collier imc at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 14 12:13:03 CEST 2003

balleier at physics.utoronto.ca (Carsten Balleier) writes:
>I'm trying to typeset a document (article class) with given layout
>parameters. Here my preamble (using letterpaper):
>
>\hoffset0in
>\oddsidemargin0.6in
>\evensidemargin0.1in
>\textwidth5.8in
>\marginparsep0in
>\marginparwidth0in
>\marginparpush0in

>I've also tried the geometry and typearea packages with equivalent
>parameters. But in all cases, the typeset/printed lines were shorter
>than 5.8". Even in normal text (no environment), \linewidth is shorter
>than \textwidth.

I tried this and all three of \linewidth, \textwidth and \hsize* were
set to 419.16621pt (5.8 inches) - but you have to set the parameters
*before* the \begin{document}.  If you are already doing this then it
is probably dependent on one of the packages you are including.
--
*\hsize is the dimension used by TeX for the width of a paragraph of text.