[texhax] Left and right outer join

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Tue Aug 12 18:16:33 CEST 2003

Hi all,

I am compiling a set of relational symbols as a reference for my database
students and wish to include the left and right outer joins. I am using
\lJoin, \rJoin and \openJoin for left, right and full outer joins
respectively. However the notation is not quite right because the open parts
really should have little horizontal tails that extend out from their
diagonals.

I read on comp.text.tex about Scott Pakin's alteration and creation of
outerjoin.mf. I used it but it is not yet right (the bow tie character used
has the bow tie still, and the open diagonals curve slightly onto the
horizontal bits, there is not a sharp angle). Unfortunately I have no real
skill with metafont.

Has any kind soul fixed this apparent hole in the character set yet?

Hoping
Alan