automatic document production

Matej Cepl ceplma00 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 17:35:17 CET 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:47:19PM +0100, Peter Kravanja wrote:
> I'm facing the following problem. An association has about 700
> members and keeps information about them (name, address,
> language skills, hobbies,...) in a database. Once a year this
> association wants to produce a book with all this information,
> to be published and distributed to the members.
>
> How can this be done in an efficient way? Does anyone know of
> some sort of interface between a database (which format??) and
> (La)TeX, so that with a few commands the relevant data gets
> extracted from the database and turned into a file that (La)TeX
> can process?

It is originally written for LyX (LaTeX based WYSIWYM
wordprocessor), but it will most certainly work even for plain
LaTeX. Try LyXQueries.py and LyXEnvelope.py on
http://emptydog.com/geekland/gl_lyx.html .

	Happy TeXing!

		Matej

Matej Cepl, ceplma00 at yahoo.com

We are told that [St. Anthony] once fell into dejection, finding
uninterrupted contemplation above his strength; but was taught to
apply himself at intervals to manual labour by a vision of an
angel who appeared platting mats of palm-tree leaves, then rising
to pray, and after some time sitting down again to work; and who
at length said to him, "Do thus, and thou shalt be saved."
	-- Life of St. Anthony