[texdoc] Texdoc fails with unexpected output

Alexander Prähauser alexander.praehauser at gmx.at
Mon Oct 23 14:37:56 CEST 2023

I have a fresh and just updated manual TexLive installation on
Arch Linux and was trying to use texdoc for the first
time. However, it quits with the unexpected output

[alex at Archlaptop /]$ texdoc texdoc
[alex at Archlaptop /]$ env: ‘Games/Sid’: No such file or directory

Apparently it is trying to look for something like Sid Meyer's
Civilization in my Games folder, which might have been
installed at some point. I'm assuming some configuration of paths
is wrong, but I don't know what. Here are the outputs
of the relevant paths:

[alex at Archlaptop /]$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/texlive/2023/bin/x86_64-linux:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin::/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl

[alex at Archlaptop /]$ echo $MANPATH

[alex at Archlaptop /]$ echo $INFOPATH
/usr/local/texlive/2023/texmf-dist/doc/info:

I'm not sure why MANPATH is empty, since I have

prepend_manpath '/usr/local/texlive/2023/texmf-dist/doc/man'

in my freshly sourced /etc/profile, but I read in the last comment
under my question here:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/697513/re-configuring-latex-path-after-switching-from-distribution-provided-texlive-to/697517#697517

that the MANPATH should be empty anyway. I tried to do more
debugging, but I couldn't find the texdoc file. I didn't do
anything nonstandard during the installation of texlive, except
that I already had a prepackaged texlive install on my
pc, which I had uninstalled beforehand, and during installation it
turned out I had to prepend the path to texlive to
PATH and not append it, otherwise it wouldn't find the new
install.