[texdoc] texdoc dtk

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu May 12 01:47:24 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-11 at 11:42:59 +0200, Arno Trautmann wrote:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > the call of
 >
 > texdoc dtk
 >
 > results in
 >
 > /texmf-dist/doc/generic/pst-optic/more_docs/dtk.pdf
 >
 > which is surely not what one is looking for, but rather result
 > number 2 from texdoc -s dtk:
 >
 > /texmf-dist/doc/latex/dtk/doc/beispiel.pdf
 >
 > Would be great if this could be fixed,

You got what you asked for.  Run

  texdoc beispiel

if you want that.

I don't know why people upload stuff to CTAN which breaks texdoc
deliberately again and again.

texdoc tries to be smart.  IMO this is inherently wrong.  It invites
people to put crap on CTAN and prevents correct stuff to work
properly.

You asked for "dtk" and got "dtk.pdf".  Be happy.  When I run

  texdoc vntex

I get

  texmf-dist/doc/generic/vntex/vntex-man.pdf

instead of

  texmf-dist/doc/generic/vntex/vntex.pdf

just because texdoc tries to be smarter than me.  Please no more
smartness than we already have!

I re-instated the old texdoc shell script from TeX Live 2005 and it
immediately found vntex.pdf, of course.  Well, it didn't try to be
smart.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25