[texdoc] texdoc -n?

Manuel Pegourie-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Sep 4 15:00:03 CEST 2008

Karl Berry a écrit :
> As a break from Windows/Lua madness ...
> I was surprised to see this option in texdoc --help:
>
>     -n, --noise-level=N     Set verbosity level to N.
>
> Why not the normal -V(erbose) instead of inventing a new option?  I've
> never seen this before.

Because I thought the info messages like

texdoc info: live aliased to texlive-en

can be boring. I put them by default because the alias feature is nes and I
want to avoid misunderstandings (why the hell is this thing looking for
texlive-en?). But in the long run as a user I basically just want texdoc to
display the doc and not bother me with details about how (alias or whatever)
it finds it.

So you can put noise_level = 2 in you texdoc.cnf and receive a bit less
noise if you don't care about the details (and maybe it could even be the
default setting in the future).

But maybe I could add the more usual -V, --verbose option as a synonym to
-n65535.