[tex4ht] Advice on where to start?

Hefferon, Jim S. jhefferon at smcvt.edu
Sun Oct 23 23:44:54 CEST 2022

Sorry to bother with a beginner question.  I am following the basic tutorial at https://www.kodymirus.cz/tex4ht-doc/BasicTutorial.html#basic-tutorial.  I download a clean copy of my project from https://gitlab.com/jim.hefferon/toc.  I check that it compiles with make.  Then based on the tutorial I ran make4ht book.tex and got this.

jim at millstone:~/src/computing/src$ make4ht book.tex
[STATUS]  make4ht: Conversion started
[STATUS]  make4ht: Input file: book.tex
[ERROR]   htlatex: Compilation errors in the htlatex run
[ERROR]   htlatex: Filename	Line	Message
[ERROR]   htlatex: ?	26	 Package biblatex Error: Patching 'endnotes' package failed.
[ERROR]   htlatex: ?	28	 TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=10000].
[FATAL]   make4ht-lib: Fatal error. Command htlatex returned exit code 1

I don't see any .log file or any other idea where to start debugging.  No doubt I've missed what to do.  I have just today updated my TeX LIve, and I have a copy of endnotes.sty.  The book is 160K lines of LaTeX and I certainly did not expect it to run without a hitch, but where do I start in to try to figure out what to adjust?

Jim