[tex4ht] why has the spacings between enumeration lists increased in TL 2021 vs. TL 2020 with tex4ht?

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sun Jun 13 10:55:05 CEST 2021

>>I just updated to TL 2021 last night. I noticed the first thing when
>>compiling some existing latex file that now the vertical spacing
>>between enumeration list items is much larger than before. All other
>>things being the same.

>>Notice the difference. Now it puts the item in a <p></p>
>>while before it did not. This explains the extra vertical spacing.
>>

> The original output was buggy, as it didn't play well with \item that
> cointained multiple paragraphs. So we start paragraph explicitly for
> each \item now.

There is some discussion going on related to "well tagged pdf" if
list item bodies are paragraphs or not.

Basically the answer is, "it depends":
In lists with short topics you don't want a paragraph tagging, but
you do in long list items with multiple paragraphs.

We will probably have to offer more control for users here.

But imho as *default* it makes more sense if tex4ht doesn't insert
paragraphs, but offer some command that allows to mark list item
bodies as real paragraphs. Lists with short, non-paragraph items are
more common than lists with long texts.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Ulrike Fischer