[tex4ht] [bug #492] BibLaTeX footnotes not showing as footnotes in ODT, nor cross-references, minor final punctuation issue also in HTML

Lorenz puszcza-hackers at gnu.org.ua
Thu Nov 26 17:50:02 CET 2020

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Hi, I am trying to convert a simple LaTeX article, using only sections,
emphasis, cross-references and BibLaTeX footnote citations to ODT using
ooxelatex (because I need UTF-8 characters).

I am running into two issues, and I have also opened an issue at the BibLaTeX
issue tracker (concerning the BibLaTeX warning described below) at
https://github.com/plk/biblatex/issues/1078:

---------------

Issue 1: In the ODT, cross-references are not shown and citations are put out
in text instead of footnotes.

There is a warning shown that isn’t shown in the LuaLaTeX compile: Package
biblatex Warning: Patching footnotes failed. Footnote detection will not work.
— Is this something that has to be fixed on the BibLaTeX side?

---------------

I tried HTML output to check where the issue is in the pipeline. In the HTML
output, both cross-references show up and citations are put in footnotes as
expected. In the HTML output, only another small issue arises:

Issue 2: In HTML, the final full stop in a footnote citation isn’t
suppressed in circumstances where it _is_ correctly suppressed in the LuaLaTeX
PDF output.

The same warning is shown as mentioned above.

a mwe.tex and, before that, three commands that show my issues. I am using the
current version (2020-11-23-10:05), generated from tex4ht-mkht.tex, as
currently included in TeX Live, and also the current version of BibLaTeX
included in TeX Live, 3.15a (2020-08-23).

Best regards, Lorenz

---------------

The three commands:

latexmk -pdf -pdflatex=lualatex mwe.tex
→ Puts out everything as I expect it: Full sentence quotations with a full
stop at the end in the suffix end in .” – other quotations end in ”.

mk4ht ooxelatex mwe.tex
→ Doesn’t put out cites in footnotes, doesn’t put out cross-references.

mk4ht htxelatex mwe.tex "html,charset=utf-8,fn-in“
→ Doesn’t manage the final full stop as I expect it: Full sentence
quotations with a full stop at the end in the suffix end in .”. (last full
stop should be omitted) – other quotations end (as expected) in ”.

(There is another small issue that I couldn’t figure out so far: I can make
it put out a UTF-8 encoding meta tag, but the file is still encoded in some
ISO Latin 1 encoding and I have to convert it to display correctly in the
browser.)

---------------

The mwe.tex:

% !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{csquotes}
\usepackage[style=footnote-dw]{biblatex}
\begin{filecontents}{\jobname.bib}
@article{my_article,
	author = {Doe, John},
	journal = {The \TeX 4ht Journal},
	number = {3},
	pages = {393–396},
	title = {A Bibliographer’s \TeX nic Inquiry},
	volume = {25},
	year = {1989}}
\end{filecontents}
\addbibresource{\jobname.bib}
\begin{document}

\section{Cites}

This is where I would like to have the full stop only \emph{inside} the curly
quotes.\cite[See][3, consider especially: “It can be difficult to deal with
full stops and curly quotes.”]{my_article}

This is where the full stop should go at the very end.\cite[See][4,
“different situation”]{my_article}

\section{Footnotes}

Lorem ipsum dolor\label{dolor} sit amet.\footnote{Test with a \label{testnt}
label.}

Lorem ipsum dolor (sicut \ref{dolor}) sit amet.\footnote{Exactly like in
n.~\ref{testnt}.}

\section{Some UTF-8 characters}

äüöß

File Attachments:

Date: Do 26 Nov 2020 18:46:44 EET  Name: mwe.tex  Size: 1001B   By: pripple
(mwe.html already transcoded to UTF-8 from ISO Latin 1.)
<http://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/bugs/download.php?file_id=377>
Date: Do 26 Nov 2020 18:46:44 EET  Name: mwe.odt  Size: 7kB   By: pripple
(mwe.html already transcoded to UTF-8 from ISO Latin 1.)
<http://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/bugs/download.php?file_id=378>
Date: Do 26 Nov 2020 18:46:44 EET  Name: mwe.pdf  Size: 22kB   By: pripple
(mwe.html already transcoded to UTF-8 from ISO Latin 1.)
<http://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/bugs/download.php?file_id=379>
Date: Do 26 Nov 2020 18:46:44 EET  Name: mwe.html  Size: 3kB   By: pripple
(mwe.html already transcoded to UTF-8 from ISO Latin 1.)
<http://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/bugs/download.php?file_id=380>